[Ffmpeg-devel] Listing suitable codec for each format

Dean Bender dean98
Fri Mar 30 07:18:18 CEST 2007

Hello all,

First, I'm new to the ffmpeg API and I'm surprised that the
documentation is very lacking. I wish I can help in some areas when I
have more time this summer.

Now let's get to my problem. I'm trying to use ffmpeg as the AV
encoder in a modified quake3 source code. I've figured out how to use
the encoding component using libavcodec/libavformat. Now I'm trying to
automate things, by detecting if the user-specified codec and format
are a good match (not all codecs can be used with any formats right ?)
I looked at the ffmpeg's doxygen and saw that there is an AVCodecTag
** codec_tag that sounds exactly like what I need for what I'm trying
to do. However I'm stumped now because the array isn't filled in for
every single formats. I have attached the code I'm using to get the
codec_tag array and list them.

One more thing, why is the AVCodecTag declared as a struct member for
AVOutputFormat, but only defined in riff.c ? It seems to be so
illogical to me. Please explain to me, thanks.

Regards,

Hassan