[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] Crash when providing -coder ac parameter

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Fri Mar 30 16:23:59 CEST 2007

Hi

Limin Wang wrote:
> * Kamil Nowosad <k.nowosad at students.mimuw.edu.pl> [2007-03-29 18:32:45 +0200]:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:04:09PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> no fix the parser so it doesnt crash, anyway i faintly remember seeing
>>> a patch for ac crash some time ago, wasnt it applied? didnt it fix the
>>> issue?
>> I had the same problem and wrote about it on the list
>> [http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-March/025812.html].
>> However, my patch has not been applied.
>
> The problem is everything is fine in the eye of the user, but in fact, it'll
> hide the fact that -coder ac haven't let ffmpeg user ac coder as user's
> expecting.
Weird. Are you sure? I tried encoding using both "-coder ac" and "-coder
vlc" and it resulted in a different file size and different performance
(and as expected AC resulted in a smaller file size and encoding was
noticeably slower).

The difference in filesizes when using the lossless ffv1 codec:
Coder    Filesize
VLC      19923786
AC       19290550

With friendly regards,