[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Listing suitable codec for each format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 30 18:59:04 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:20:06PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:54:33PM +0100, Dean Bender wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > First, I'm new to the ffmpeg API and I'm surprised that the
> > documentation is very lacking. I wish I can help in some areas when I
> > have more time this summer.
> >
> > Now let's get to my problem. I'm trying to use ffmpeg as the AV
> > encoder in a modified quake3 source code. I've figured out how to use
> > the encoding component using libavcodec/libavformat. Now I'm trying to
> > automate things, by detecting if the user-specified codec and format
> > are a good match (not all codecs can be used with any formats right ?)
>
> A good container format can use any codecs. Bad ones are limited to
> small sets of compatible codecs, for practical purposes anyway.
> (FFmpeg can normally put any codec in any container, but the results
> most likely won't be playable on most players.)
>
> FFmpeg does not provide any tables to identify which codecs a
> container supports. :(

it does see AVOutputFormat.codec_tag but as the original poster
already noticed its not filled in for most muxers

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates