[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier
Wed May 9 10:23:20 CEST 2007

Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :

> Hi
> i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git

Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.

> disadvantages:
> * blame/annotate behave somewhat different and is slower if used with
>   some options like -C -C
> * all the web interfaces to git ive seen suck, nothing looks remotely
>   as sane as viewvc
> * are there more? probably, comments welcome

One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,
and I haven't had much good sleep lately (still trying to recover
from Nicolas Berlusconi^W Sarkozy election).

> how does my plan look like:
> well first we need to find a reliable, fast and free server with a
> very
> fast network connection for ffmpeg-git

Last time I heard, GIT generated quite a bit of traffic compared to
BitKeeper. I don't know how this compares with CVS or SVN, but I
think people who have experience with GIT should tell us how
bandwidth figures look like compared to the VCS they were using
before (CVS, SVN...)