[FFmpeg-devel] Why 'You can only build one library type at once on MinGW'?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Wed May 9 11:28:51 CEST 2007

Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/5/9, Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be>:
>> Zuxy Meng wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Any details?

>>> Sure. Under each directory I got a .a, a .dll.a (import lib) and a
>>> dll. I don't see there're any problems.
>> It would indeed be nifty to be able to build both shared and static
>> together on mingw. But there is more to test: does make install work
>> correctly? Does linking to the .a work correctly in VisualStudio? Ditto
>> shared?
>
> For shared libraries, make install on mingw never works, regardless
> whether we build static and shared libraries together or not: dlls
> gets installed under $PREFIX/lib, while it should go to $PREFIX/bin;
> dll.a doesn't get installed altogether.

So mingw is still broken (long time I tried) and requires lots of manual
babysitting. Sigh. If it were on a Linux platform, it would have been
fixed a long time ago.

> I don't have a VS for checking right now, but IIRC the VS linker can't
> recognize .a (while mingw binutils can work well with .lib), not to
> mention .dll.a. You have to generate an import library manually by
> using the 'lib' program.

The .dll.a *is* the export library. I think. Currently I dont have the
time to try mingw again.

> Again this has nothing to do with
> simultaneous building of both static and shared libraries.

Seems you're right there.

> BTW: I still wonder why objects (.o) for shared and static libraries
> differ in Windows. Can u explain a little bit to me or point me a URL
> explaining this?

Sorry, no.

--
Michel Bardiaux