[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed May 9 14:41:35 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 11:03:22AM +0200, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> > Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> > > i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git
> >
> > Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
> > all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
> > hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.
>
> I agree that it has many nice features, but the only case where there is
> any "smartness" (that is in detecting copies) it like always proves from
> time to time that artificial intelligence is just a step below natural
> stupidity.

do you remember any specific cases where gits copy detection was seriously
wrong, iam interrested to see such failures ...
also keep in mind git was buggy until 3 days ago with blame/annotate and
copy detection

also i think that all copy missdetections could be fixed simply by seperating
copy from modify, that is check in a true copy first and then check in
modifications. that way git could detected the ancestor file by simple
file compare, and that wont be wrong

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope