[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Wed May 9 15:21:24 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 5/9/07, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? <flameeyes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:23:20 +0200
> Guillaume Poirier <gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:
>
> > One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
> > clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
> > time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,
> > and I haven't had much good sleep lately
>
> GIT, as in the base git package, works fine on FreeBSD too at least, I
> think Solaris is not entirely supported though, and other operating
> systems might not work as it is. This was one of the reasons why for
> xine we preferred Mercurial (available almost everywhere Python works).
>
> Cogito on the other hand last time I looked used some GNUisms in the
> scripts, so didn't work at 100% on non-GNU systems. Unfortunately,
> Cogito *is* a time saver most of the times, and missing it is a big
> annoying, at least to me.

Ok.

I just found the information I was looking for, pulled from wikipedia
(it's funny how it's faster to dig wikipedia's article about a project
that the project's documentation):

"Git is targeted to run on Linux, but can be used on other Unix-like
operating systems including BSD, Solaris and Darwin. Git is extremely
fast on POSIX-based systems such as Linux.[27]"

so it should work on OSX, cool :-)

"Git does not run natively on Microsoft Windows; git runs on Windows
by using Cygwin (a POSIX emulation), but this requires the
installation and use of Cygwin.[28] Git on Windows is noticeably
slower,[29] due to git's heavy use of file system features that are
particularly fast on Linux.[30] In addition, many people find Cygwin
installation too large and invasive for typical Windows use.[31]"

[..]

"A native Microsoft Windows port (using MinGW) is approaching
completion,[34] but there is more work to be done, including handling
of CRLF line endings.[35] Porting Git to Windows is difficult due to a
number of architecture issues.[36]"

So apart from Windows, GIT is supposed to work, at least.
The situation with windows sucks though, I do hope it gets better in
the future if we really switch to GIT (which is likely to happen since
our charismatic leader is all for it).

Guillaume
--
Rich, you're forgetting one thing here: *everybody* except you is
stupid.