[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Wed May 9 15:21:24 CEST 2007

On 5/9/07, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? <flameeyes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:23:20 +0200
> Guillaume Poirier <gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:
> > One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
> > clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
> > time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,
> > and I haven't had much good sleep lately
> GIT, as in the base git package, works fine on FreeBSD too at least, I
> think Solaris is not entirely supported though, and other operating
> systems might not work as it is. This was one of the reasons why for
> xine we preferred Mercurial (available almost everywhere Python works).
> Cogito on the other hand last time I looked used some GNUisms in the
> scripts, so didn't work at 100% on non-GNU systems. Unfortunately,
> Cogito *is* a time saver most of the times, and missing it is a big
> annoying, at least to me.

I just found the information I was looking for, pulled from wikipedia
(it's funny how it's faster to dig wikipedia's article about a project
that the project's documentation):

"Git is targeted to run on Linux, but can be used on other Unix-like
operating systems including BSD, Solaris and Darwin. Git is extremely
fast on POSIX-based systems such as Linux.[27]"

so it should work on OSX, cool :-)

"Git does not run natively on Microsoft Windows; git runs on Windows
by using Cygwin (a POSIX emulation), but this requires the
installation and use of Cygwin.[28] Git on Windows is noticeably
slower,[29] due to git's heavy use of file system features that are
particularly fast on Linux.[30] In addition, many people find Cygwin
installation too large and invasive for typical Windows use.[31]"

"A native Microsoft Windows port (using MinGW) is approaching
completion,[34] but there is more work to be done, including handling
of CRLF line endings.[35] Porting Git to Windows is difficult due to a
number of architecture issues.[36]"

So apart from Windows, GIT is supposed to work, at least.
The situation with windows sucks though, I do hope it gets better in
the future if we really switch to GIT (which is likely to happen since
our charismatic leader is all for it).

Rich, you're forgetting one thing here: *everybody* except you is