[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed May 9 16:36:47 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:51:33PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > I attached that file, since git over http is not quite efficient you
> > might not want to clone that full repo.
>
> hmm, how inefficient? i dont mind waiting an hour or 2 ...

Probably not that bad (don't know your connection). I think initial upload took
2 hours or so, but my upstream is only about 180 kbit/s.
Actually the real inefficiency is that when you use e.g. "git-repack -a -d" everyone
updating has to download the full repository again (and worse, I have to
upload the full one). So I've only been using "git-repack -d" but that
isn't quite as space-efficient.
More problematic is that I did not find out how to have automatically
added/removed branches that were added/removed from such a remote http
repository, git-pull or whatever does not seem to do that (yes, I know,
I probably should just read the documentation somewhen ;-) )...

> > > also keep in mind git was buggy until 3 days ago with blame/annotate and
> > > copy detection
> >
> > My git is not _that_ up-to-date I admit ;-)
>
> well compiling git head is easy, just run make :)

Well, either installing or using it without installing is the more
painful part.
Anyway, I actually already have 1.5.1.4, which seems to have been
released today. Does not seem to make any difference in this case.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger