[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Thu May 10 19:12:18 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 14:08 +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 10 May 2007, at 12:13, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > There is now a git repo at git://git.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg tracking
> > FFmpeg svn.  A gitweb interface is at http://git.mplayerhq.hu/.
> > I will try to get git-http and cvs access working tonight.
>
> $ time git clone git://git.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg

> real    3m44.084s
> user    0m11.778s
> sys     0m54.586s
>
> During the Indexing phase I was getting about 120-130kB/s downstream
> traffic and the Resolving phase ate one core of my Core Duo 1.83GHz
> (with 2GB ram, if that matters) for a minute or thereabouts. By
> comparison:

On a significantly slower machine I got:
real    0m46.690s
user    0m21.892s
sys     0m0.668s

Notice the huge difference in the amount of sys time used, which is
probably the cause of the slowness of the resolving phase. I think you
must either be using a different, inefficient git version (though I
don't know whether there's been one which would behave like that) or
there's something wrong with your machine which makes the filesystem
operations used very slow.