[FFmpeg-devel] Question about parallelizing h264 decoding

Thorsten Jordan tjordan
Fri May 11 10:14:26 CEST 2007

Loren Merritt schrieb:
> Frame level parallelism is best.
>
>>> 1) decode slices in parallel - problematic, because intra-frame
>>> references and many data dependencies, also because of difficult
>>> parallelization of cabac decoding etc.
> This is the easiest method. There are no data dependencies, and you just
> run several independ cabac decoders. But it can only work if the stream
> was encoded with slices, so if you don't control the encoder settings it
> will fail often.
sorry for my little knowledge about h264, but if the stream was not
encoded with slices, how then? Isn't a frame partitioned in slices like
with mpeg2? What are the alternatives?
Thanks!

--
Regards, Thorsten