[FFmpeg-devel] Why 'You can only build one library type at once on MinGW'?

Rich Felker dalias
Sun May 13 03:08:20 CEST 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 01:45:13PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > at least he is honest that:
> > -
> > This is probably faster than any other shared library implementation, ...
> > -
> > also something some people here dont want to accept ...
>
> Who said a.out wasn't faster?  a.out is fast and simple and ELF is complex,
> there's really no question about that.  For all its strengths, I don't see
> anyone maintaining an a.out distribution.

Not a distribution, but I use an a.out-based system.

> > PIC/shared lib generation, it really is that easy
> > it also reminds me that rich couldnt compile python on his
> > system due to shared libs ...
>
> I thought Rich's problem was the he didn't want to use shared libs and the
> python build system didn't have an option for that.

No, my "problem" is that I use a system that _does not support_ shared
libraries. The actual problem is that Python is not portable and does
not respect users of such systems.

Rich