[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun May 13 03:10:11 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 02:15:59AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:27:53 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:15:24PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > The sha1 checksum defines the commit.  It's the equivalent of revision
> > > numbers in cvs and svn.
> >
> > i know but i dont remember ~10000 sha1 values, the svn revission gives you a
> > hint of when something happened and in addition viewvc shows the author ...
>
> BTW, if we switch to git, what should ffmpeg print in it's disclamer
> instead of "FFmpeg version SVN-r9010" ?

something like FFmpeg version GIT-foobarbranch-2007-05-13_03:09:51 ?

or FFmpeg version foobar070513_030951 ?

> I suppose printing sha1 won't be very useful...
> It would be nice if git could use something similar to a revision number
> in addition to the sha1 (just like what Mercurial does).
> (and yes, I know this is not git-devel list... I may post there when
> I will have listed everything I don't like about git)

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire