[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] extern "C" usage

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Mon May 14 13:46:18 CEST 2007

Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
> Diego Biurrun schrieb:
>
>> Since the big outcry has not been forthcoming this time around
>
> That's an invitation ;-).
>
>> and a
>> consensus to remove them seems to exist, I would say remove them.  I'm
>> all for it.
>
> I'm not an ffmpeg developer, but someone who has been using ffmpeg in
> open source sw (www.libavg.de) for quite some time. So, it's your choice
> whether to remove this code, but I'd like to add my 2c to the discussion:
>
> At the moment, it's no harder to use ffmpeg from C++ than it is from C
> (We're doing it), and that's very good. Removing the extern "C" markings
> would change that. It would remove maybe 20 lines from ffmpeg and
> require every library that uses ffmpeg from C++ to add these lines
> again. That's a lot of duplicated code and hence wasted effort.

My 2 additional cents: in general in C++ you should not put the extern
"C" around your includes. After all the same header file could have both
C calling convention and C++ ones. Only the person/group who created the
.h file know that. And it shouldn't be the job of the 3rd party to find
out if it's correct to assume everything is C. It's just extra work and
the creator of the software knows better than anyone else.

Steve