[FFmpeg-devel] How to drop audio samples?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue May 15 02:37:07 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:24:55PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wonder whether anyone can offer me advice on how to start tweaking the
> source of ffmpeg. What I'm trying to do is fix the unlocked(*) audio in
> a DV stream (from dvgrab): the camera is actually running its audio
> clock too fast, and sampling at about 48009 Hz, but claiming to sample
> at 48000 exactly. This causes the audio to drift with respect to the
> video - it starts out in sync, but the audio gets behind by about 1
> sec/hour.
>
> So far, I've tried
>
>   i)Using -ar 48009 to force the input sample rate to be defined as
> 48009, rather than 48000. However, ffmpeg still treats it as 48000,
> presumably because it trusts the internal DV header. [Is this a bug?]
>
> ii)Using -async  (which does nothing useful).
>
> iii)Saving the stream, de-muxing, resampling with sox, and re-muxing:
>    sox -r 48009 input.wav -r 48000 fixed.wav resample
> This works fine, but it's no good for a live stream.
>

> What I want to do:
>
> Implement a trivial filter in ffmpeg to drop every nth byte-pair from
> the audio stream.

no what you want to do is rather use -async 10 and ensure that the audio
timestamps are correct

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus