[FFmpeg-devel] flashsvenc.c - sampling block size too low

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 18 02:29:15 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 01:04:58PM -0500, Jason Askew wrote:
> diff of 2 pass encoding for flashsvenc.c attached
> I'm still actively working on this.  A few things to know:
> const int TP_BLCK_SIZE = 8;
> This can go up to 16.  Things get even slower and the resulting gains
> have been minimal to nonexistence.  That may be a different story
> depending on what the screen cap is of.
> Each possible block size is iterated through, compared, and zlib'ed.
> This is not efficient.

could you please explain what exactly this patch is doing?

the current flashsvenc.c contains a optimal brute force encoder
which tries all block sizes, it is under #if 0 and works with
a single pass, and assuming it is not buggy it should outperform
your code, which adapts the blocks at coarser granularity

and your patch duplicates alot of the existing code ...

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates