[FFmpeg-devel] the future of fastmemcpy.h

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue May 22 22:56:21 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:17:34PM +0200, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:53:59PM +0200, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > > Ronald brought up the subject of the fastmemcpy.h #includes that we
> > > continue to have in a few source files.  fastmemcpy.h is part of MPlayer
> > > and not FFmpeg.  Is the #include just old cruft or worth keeping?
> > >

> > I thought today about moving fastmemcpy into libavutil.
>
> Please don't without proper performance testing, it stops gcc from
> replacing constant-size memcpys by an inlined builtin, causing both
> valgrind problems and at least for lzo massive slowdown.

introduce a big_memcpy() and leave memcpy() as is ...

and yes it should be benchmarked

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his
enemies for the hardest victory is over self. -- Aristotle