[FFmpeg-devel] iPod Donation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu May 24 21:11:03 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:37:15AM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:
> Right now, on e-bay, there are several iPod video
> units
> for sale, 30-80GB, new and used, starting around
> $319.00 - Buy It Now Price.
>
> Also, this company:
>
> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8295
>
> sells an iPod breakout connector for those handy with
> a soldering iron. (I do not know if this matters, but
> it may be necessary for "sniffing" an iPod data
> transfer).

not sure what you want to use that for ...
for encoding videos and transfering them to the ipod, linux
a computer with usb connector and some other 100% free software
components are all that is needed
that said iam sure there are many things on the ipod which havent been
reverse engeneered yet and they surely should be reverse engeneered but
thats more a thing for thouse who want to replace the apple software on
the ipod with their own OS and not so much related to ffmpeg unless you
want to run ffplay/mplayer/xine on the ipod which surely would be
interresting too

> Now for the Deal:
>
> I will donate $10.00, toward the purchase of an iPod
> for ffmpeg. If everyone here will do the same, then
> one can be bought. I have dismissed the idea of
> approaching  Apple for a developer's unit to use in
> developing ffmpeg. Someone should try, I think, but I
> have my reservations about believing they will fork
> over a free unit so that it can be reverse-engineered,
> and competing software developed.

well, askin apple seems like a good idea, telling them that we want
to reverse engeneer anything is not a good idea

[...]
> You all will have to decide amongst yourselves who
> gets to hold the unit, and how to share it. I would
> suggest out of fairness that when development is
> complete, that the unit be re-sold on e-bay, and the
> funds put toward further ffmpeg development, perhaps
> as bounties. Or, perhaps you decide amongst yourselves
> who gets to keep it, or maybe even a lottery.

this all is too complex
assuming that there is anything for which we would need a ipod
like porting ffmpeg/ffplay/xine/mplayer to it then whoever does the
work should keep the ipod

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his
enemies for the hardest victory is over self. -- Aristotle