[FFmpeg-devel] r9017 breaks WMA decoding on Intel Macs

Patrice Bensoussan patrice.bensoussan
Wed May 30 20:58:34 CEST 2007

On 30 May 2007, at 19:03, Trent Piepho wrote:

>>> Ok, fine with me. Michael, do you think that the patch I posted
>>> earlier (100% based on Trent's, only fixing minor issues) should be
>>> applied?
>> well these arent the only occurances of this syntax in ffmpeg
>> also i would like to see benchmarks, gcc has the tendency to do
>> stupid
>> things if it can and here it can ... (=more freedom with gcc
>> generally means
>> worse code, thats just my experience with gcc, its not always
>> true, also
>> gcc should be getting better as the version numbers increase ...)
>> also i dont see how this additional freedom could lead to better code
>> here, it can just lead to worse code if gcc doesnt realize that
>> things
>> can be addressed via the same register
> When I checked the asm output, it generates the exact same
> instructions,
> just without the semi-incorrect asm syntax.

Hmmm... Michael, the code currently committed is broken for Intel
based Macs... so shouldn't we apply this patch anyway to actually
have a correct code, and then do some benchmarks later? Or simply
revert the original patch until we can decide what is the best thing
to do?