[FFmpeg-devel] Question about PAFF decoding

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu May 31 20:04:39 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 04:44:24PM +0200, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have some questions, if they are too uninteresting for you, please
> ignore this mail. Sorry if i would waste your time.
>
> Maybe the student who implements PAFF decoding for h264 in SoC project
> would be willing to talk with me, but i dont' have his address.

there is no student who works on PAFF

> @Loren: if you want to give him mine i'd be happy: tjordan at macrosystem.de
>
> Here we go:
>
> with PAFF material a frame seems to be coded in two seperate fields,
> each with his own NAL start code (00 00 00 01 09 xx). I have seen two
> consecutive fields of one frame, first with xx=10, second xx=30, so
> first field has only I slices, the second P-slices. Other streams have
> 2x the 10 code. Bizarre...
>
> Would PAFF decoding work like decoding two consecutive frames with half
> height?

no

> Decoding would then need to handle double pitch value and fields have to
> be combined to a frame. Except that there are more references. Could the
> second field reference the first? It seems so because of the slice types
> announced (as i said above).
>
> Michael said several times that PAFF is hard to implement and that he
> feels sorry for the person who would try to implement it (or similar
> statement).
>
> Can you give me some examples what especially are the problems there?

read the h.264 spec

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin