[FFmpeg-devel] H.264: illegal short term buffer state detected

Jeff Downs heydowns
Mon Nov 5 20:04:14 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Reinhard Nissl wrote:

> The strange thing is, when I cat all those chunks together and play the
> resulting file with ffplay or mplayer (without any further options), the
> above mentioned error message doesn't appear at all. So I'm lost --
> either I missed a switch which would make those players report this
> message too, or the error is the result of how libxine feeds the data to
> FFmpeg.

No, the messages should post with default command line (they are errors).

My guess is it has to do with how libxine feeds the data, based on what
you are telling us.  Unfortunately, I can't go and look at libxine.

Does libxine feed data with CODEC_FLAG2_CHUNKS set?  There is possibility
of a bug in field picture management there.

> Please tell me, what I shall do next (e. g. uploading the files).

Would be good if you can look at how libxine feeds data and let us know if
the CHUNKS flag is being set.  Barring that, you'll have to figure on what
libxine is doing different -- for all we know it could be a bug in the
handling of data on its way in to lavc.  The error you are reporting can
be caused by data loss, corrupt data, or feeding the same data twice.

	-Jeff