[FFmpeg-devel] Ingex, libMXF and FFmpeg

Andrew Hunter andrew
Wed Nov 14 00:13:17 CET 2007

Hello,

My name is Andrew Hunter (rexbron) and I am mailing this list in regards
to libMXF and Ingex [1].

As the name suggests, libMXF is a library that handles the muxing and
demuxing of video and audio in the MXF format. It is developed by the
BBC to address issues outlined in this white paper [2].

As I understand it, FFmpeg has a native demuxer for MXF files. I would
like to initiate discussion on the relative merits of both.

As an end user of FFmpeg and the video editing tools that are built on
top of it, I would love to see a situation in which video files from my
Panasonic HVX200 are editable entirely with in the Linux environment, a
"Just Works" experience. I understand that editing may be a ways off,
but playback of those would be a huge step forward from where I am right
now. :)

Having brought up this, what are peoples thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

[1] http://ingex.sourceforge.net/
[2] www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP155.pdf