[FFmpeg-devel] libavutil simd

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Oct 2 00:15:56 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> so please correct me if iam wrong but i dont see how the altivec "detection"
> code in libavcodec could have ever worked short of by pure luck that gcc
> didnt use altivec anywhere when compiling normal c code

you may use -maltivec (-mabi=altivec) only on the files in which you are
effectively using altivec intrinsics.

> so it really does not seem like runtime altivec detection is possible not
> even with fork and sigill catching or /proc/ with current gcc

Possible is possible, the question is if it's worth the hassle. I always
been on the "don't care" side, so it's fine for me .

Doing it is feasible, doing it w/out ugly and annoying hacks seems not.

lu - no currently the makefiles don't differentiate cflags

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero