[FFmpeg-devel] libavutil simd

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Oct 2 04:09:10 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:38:16AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > > e.g. if another project builds libav* in-tree like MPlayer does.
> >
> > That is an hack by definition...
>
> indeed and i guess a patch would be welcome by diego ...
> that is one which calls/uses ffmpeg configure/Makefile i think?

Diego (I think) had a design for a system by which the makefiles in
each directory could function either standalone or included from the
makefile in the parent directory, allowing non-recursive make and
integrating makefiles. If we could get thath together into a nice spec
I think it would be a great thing for FFmpeg and MPlayer (and other
projects using FFmpeg in-tree as well) to adopt, not just for ease of
maintainence but also to popularize the design and hopefully spread it
as an alternative to the autosh*t hell of recursive make.

> letting the application call init_foobar(cpu_capabilities) and leave it
> to the app to figure out cpu_capabilities is certainly possible but it
> isnt exactly beautifull
>
> but its certainly better then forking behind the apps back

What about providing both as 2 separate functions, and documenting
that the forking function will fork? Or better yet, just read
/proc/cpuinfo and forget about supporting runtime cpu detection on
systems without cpuinfo or equivalent.

Rich