[FFmpeg-devel] Scalable Video Encoding and FGS

Erik van Zijst ffmpeg
Fri Oct 12 19:03:56 CEST 2007

Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Erik van Zijst wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>> We've built a proof-of-concept encoder that scatters DCT coefficients
>> over layers (we didn't do P- or B-frames, so we were cheating a bit) and
>> that really works well.
>
> You're cheating a lot. The complicated and inefficient part of scalable
> coding is trying to make it compatible with inter prediction.

I know, which is why I'm so interested in taking an off-the-shelf
scalability implementation and certainly not try to invent something new.

As I mentioned in my first mail, would anyone on the team be interested
in adding FGS when my company would support it financially?

Erik
--
The value of a program is proportional to the weight of its output.