[FFmpeg-devel] Bugreport: compiling fails with -fPIC used

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Oct 15 13:28:04 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 10/15/07, Thorsten Jordan <tjordan at macrosystem.de> wrote:

> although i know that one should better not use -fPIC with ffmpeg to have
> the most performance, there are situations when it is needed.
> Using -fPIC as CFLAGS leads to compilation error:
>
> i386/dsputil_mmx.c: In function 'flac_compute_autocorr_sse2':
> i386/dsputil_mmx.c:3028: error: can't find a register in class
> 'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
>
> is this of any interest to you? thanks for a reply.

Use -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -mno-dynamic-pic for libavcodec/i386/. The -O3
is (I think) only needed on darwin because their gcc is busted, the rest is
(again, I think) always needed, and all this should be in your
config.makCFLAGS already (next time, include the gcc command used so
we can see what's
wrong with it :-) ).

Ronald