[FFmpeg-devel] Sample table box preload

Emanuele Fumagalli emanuele.fumagalli
Wed Oct 17 12:15:32 CEST 2007

Hi all,
I've already posted a similar question in ffmpeg user mailing list but I didn't get any answer.
I'm using the ffmpeg library to decode an mp4 container with h264 and aac.
I access directly the file (using a custom protocol with register_protocol) cause I stream it in a sort of progressive streaming, so I know exactly what part of the file are read by the library while decoding.
I noticed that the av_open_input_file requires a large amount of data, up to 1.5 Mb when the files is 1h 30min, and that is proportional to the lenght of the video.
Is there a way to avoid this preload, or is it something necessary for the play of the video?
Or do you know if there's a way to compress it to enable a fast start when streaming?
I think that's because the sample table box is preloaded during the opening of the video, is that necessary for the seeking?

Thanks for any help on that.
Bye