[FFmpeg-devel] FFSERVER/FFMPEG Broken? --- Broken!

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Oct 21 11:46:00 CEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 01:40:09AM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:

> --- Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> > > Well, that represents as many as 11 iterations or more, all taking about an
> > > hour to build.
> >
> > Huh?  Even my K6-III 500 builds FFmpeg in much less than half that time.
> > Are you using ccache?  Build times will go down by a remarkable amount,
> > I often experience a factor of 1-10.
> >
> > > Sorry, but I do not have that kind of time. Whoever broke the fucking thing
> > > should do that.
> >
> > Sorry, but this is the standard procedure to locate an offending commit.
> > Trust me, all of us have done it.  I myself must have done it many many
> > dozens of time.  The point is that you can run it as a background task
> > while doing other things, you don't have to wait for hours on the
> > results of the compilation runs.
>
> Understood. But it still represents about a dozen hours of my time, by the time
> it is all done. Just don't have it to spare.

It's not a dozen hours of work and it should not be more than 3-4 hours
of time (90% of which you can do other things).  I'm talking from
experience here, I've done it many many times.

If you don't have enough time to spare, that's unfortunate, but the
issue is likely to remain unresolved until somebody else finds the time
and motivation to do it...

> > Also, how do we know who broke it without knowing which commit broke it?
>
> They know who they are...

Huh?  What are you talking about?  There is no secret agenda out to
break ffserver.  Whatever breakage occurred, I can assure you that
nobody caused it on purpose.

Diego