[FFmpeg-devel] [Bugreport] and [Patch]: duration of TS streams is wrong when used near 2^33 wrap

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Oct 29 18:19:48 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:36:57PM +0100, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
> > Hi

> >> following that argumentation, the current implementation to compute
> >> duration would have to be removed too, because it is a guess as well, as
> >> Mans said. But who would want that?
> >> The proposed change wouldn't make the current situation much worse imho,
> >> but ok, it is your decision.
> >
> > the change makes the code worse
> > as it turns negative durations (which would be ignored) into valid positive
> > ones, in practice such negative durations are more likely caused by
> > timestamp resets instead of 33bit wraping
> Sorry, but i doubt that this is the case. PTS wrap occurs every 26.5
> hours, but how often do PTS resets occur?

IIRC i have a file where they occur every minute, while i never saw a dvd
with 26 hours length

> In fact i never saw one yet
> and i am working much with TS of TV broadcasts. They may happen, but
> surely less often than simple wraps.

i cant comment on broadcasts as i dont have the hardware to watch TS
broadcasts, but no matter what the timestamps for broadcasts are they
wont change the fact that for normal mpeg files this patch will break
things more than they are currently broken

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus