[FFmpeg-devel] configure with liba52 on 64 bit

foyleman foyleman
Fri Sep 21 17:18:50 CEST 2007

I am unable to configure ffmpeg on a CentOS 64bit machine. I need to
configure with liba52 but I am getting errors.

I did some searching and cannot find a solution.. or at least one that I
understand. I know some linux and I can get around, but perhaps not
enough since I am lost here.

My ffmpeg configure line:
./configure --enable-shared --enable-libxvid --enable-libvorbis
--enable-libogg --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gpl --enable-libfaad
--enable-libfaac --enable-liba52 --enable-pp

My error:
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/liba52.a(parse.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/liba52.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libavcodec.so.51] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/install/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

I believe this is a 64bit issue. I was able to configure this on a 32bit
test system. But the server on which I need to finally install it turns
out to be 64 bit.

Please help.

"Go ahead... You Play. I Mod. : MODSonline.com"
Over 80,000 members can't be wrong.
Custom game content, tutorials, downloads, etc.
Have you heard the MODSonair Podcast?

We are game enthusiasts from the MODSonline.com
community bringing you news, updates and
opinions of the week's current events.
Tune in every Friday for a new episode.

iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=76379330
Looking for help modding your game? Checkout:
- Quake 4 Mods For Dummies
- Half-Life 2 Mods For Dummies

Authored by Erik Guilfoyle (foyleman) and
Available in most book stores.