[FFmpeg-devel] GPL licence break (MovieGate)

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Apr 1 11:34:35 CEST 2008

Please don't top-post, like I asked you.  If you don't know what
top-posting is, Google will explain it to you with the first hit.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:16:28PM +0200, Christophe Ducommun wrote:

> I have re-re-read the GPL in my native language on wikipedia.

Good.

> [...]
> Now after reading the GPL one more time, I note :
> 1) I can distribute myself a compiled binary of FFmpeg BUT I need to
> provide the source code
>
> Yes, I will give the source code (if you want) of FFmpeg which is
> included in my application, but it's the same as SVN rev 6244, I
> don't have made any changes.

It doesn't matter if you made changes or not.  You have to give your
users access to the complete source code you used.  Just make a tarball
or zip file or whatever and put it up for download alongside your
program.  That will be enough for us.

> 2) I need to add credit for FFmpeg on my website and in my application
>
> Yes, I will add credits to your work on my application and on my
> website for the next minor revision of my software.

When will you be releasing that version?  And what's keeping you from
changing your website now?

> I think, I must only make the following changes to be compliant with
> the GPL :
> 1) Add credits on my web site and on my application.
> 2) Distribute the source code of FFmpeg from SVN rev 6244
>
> Am I right ?

AFAICT, yes.

Diego

P.S.: I'm not sure if you are subscribed to ffmpeg-devel, so I CCed you
just in case.  Please keep ffmpeg-devel in the CC as well.