[FFmpeg-devel] Problems compiling FFMPEG in MingW

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 3 02:16:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:44:45AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > The point is that I really do want those lamers to go away!  Not a
> > > single day passes anymore without seeing top-posting, threads broken and
> > > hijacked and offtopic messages.  Also, this problem is gettting worse
> > > and worse.
> > >
> > > What do you suggest in order to *reduce* the problem?
> >
> > Simply saying "go away" doesn't help the user in getting his problem
> > resolved,
>
> Of course.  This is intentional.  If the problem gets resolved, the
> action is effectively rewarded.

The problem is just that there are always new people, so rewarding or not
the one currently posting does not change anything, banning him also
wouldnt. The next one would do the same again.

The problem are people who subscribe and post 1-10 messages within a few
days and then leave.
Helping them for the few cases where its clear what they speak about
will not worsen this problem.
People who are subscribed for a while and who might see that others get
baned/warned/flames for something wont send iditic mails to begin with
even if other such people are friendly told about netiquette.

Also your behavor is exactly what arpi did when he was still active on
mplayer development, back then i think you or maybe some others told
him to just not reply to such mails if he cant awnser half politely.

[...]
> > Learning proper netiquette doesn't usually take long.
>
> It rather seems to me that it is getting harder and harder to fend off
> the new generation of people spoiled by knowing nothing but webmail :-(

Its trivial to filter it if it really bothers you, pick any bayesian spam
filter and train it a little ...

Or use a puzzle like the one you typo-fixed so people cant subscribe without
reading 2 paragraphs of text.

[...]
> That said, I have no delusions about the effectiveness of these rants.
> Constantly telling people off will only get me/us frustrated while
> achieving next to nothing (apart from letting off some steam).  We need
> to find a technical solution and/or become much better at getting the
> information conveyed to the intended recipients.

see above

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus