[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] be more kind with wrong psm in mpeg ps

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 7 17:59:55 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:36:41PM +0200, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Attached patch make ps demuxer correctly detects lpcm files with wrong
> >> psm (mplayer and vlc plays them correctly).
> >>
> >> Should fix wrong_psm_lpcm.mpg on mplayerhq.
> >>
> >> I think those checks are reasonable. Comments ?
> >
> > I don't like it.  It can break valid files.
> >

> Question is does it ?
>
> I'd like some real measures of the effects of the psm considering vlc
> and mplayer ignore it and play many files.
>
> if psm says AC3 or DTS then fine, but if psm says private data or mpeg1
> audio, it's reasonable to guess that it is not what psm says.
>
> I think I'll ask for a vote on this, since I would really like being
> able to play those files.

I am in favor of having as many files as possible supported. So if this patch
makes files playable that arent currently and we have none that it breaks
then, iam in favor of the patch.
Maybe a compromise would be printing a "This file specifies an invalid codec
in the PSM"?
Also without checking the spec, what is invalid if a AC3/DTS/MP3/LPCM is
"private data"? IMHO if something else indicates a more specific type that
should override "private data". But maybe i misunderstood something?

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus