[FFmpeg-devel] Cleanup libswscale and reimplement GPL code under LGPL
Tue Apr 8 00:18:57 CEST 2008
> > Also what about politely asking walken to relicense the generator code
> > under LGPL?
> I did not succeed, good luck.
What about this GSoC project =):
Get Walken to relicense his GPL code under LGPL
FFmpeg's libavcodec has native software scaling code (called imgconvert)
that is licensed under the Lesser General Public License (LGPL). That
code has been deprecated in favor a much more powerful library,
libswscale. Unfortunately, libswscale has lots of code written by
Walken, under the General Public License (GPL).
Some parts of the code have been rewritten over the years, but any GPL
code makes the entire library GPL too.
In this project I will:
- Get Walken to relicense his GPL code under LGPL.
As a secondary goal, switch FFmpeg to use only libswscale, removing the
deprecated imgconvert code.
This project will be split in various steps, that are only to be taken
if the previous step fails:
- Study rhetoric and persuasion methods;
- Work on my argumentative skills;
- 1st attempt at getting Walken to relicense his code using
2. (if 1 fails)
- Spy on Walken's personal life;
- Learn the art of blackmailing;
- 2nd attempt at getting Walken to relicense his code using
3. (if 2 fails)
- Study those methods that the United States claim are not quite
torture (like simulated drowning);
- 3rd attempt at getting Walken to relicense his code using
More information about the ffmpeg-devel