[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] per format probe buffer sizes

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Apr 15 19:05:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:48:43PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>> Hello, while trying to work out how to get dts in wav detection to work
>> properly I found out that there was a problem with the size of the probe
>> buffer. Right now it starts from 2048 and increases the size until a
>> format is detected. And when the wav format is used with a command line
>> like "ffmpeg -i dts.wav test.wav" the format is detected in the first try.
>> And reliable dts detection in a test file I had will need more. It found
>> the first SYNC word after 3072 bytes. So for this to work we need to
>> increase this buffer, one could either do it globally or just for the
>> needed format. Before the actual probing that finds the wav format
>> (utils.c:447) there is another probe (utils:433). My suggestion is that we
>> add a flag and size parameter to the format struct and let this probe call
>> fetch this value so it can be used later in the real probe(utils.c:447).
>> This way we can add per format probe sizes which might useful.
>>
>> So what do you think of this idea ?
>>

>> MvH
>> Benjamin Larsson
>>

> Here is a patch describing the idea, for it to work we would need to re add
>  format extensions for the formats which support/need custom probe size.

This is insane, patch rejected :)
See the solution i suggested.
It doesnt double the read size unless the file really needs it. No weird
file extension tests, no misuse of "value", no API change.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle