[FFmpeg-devel] Handling packetised MPEG4

g the_ether2
Sun Apr 27 12:29:51 CEST 2008

I'd like to know what, if anything, I need to set when initialising ffmpeg to decode packetised MPEG4.

MPEG4 allows me to split a frame into arbitrarily sized "slices". The decoder should be able to cope with missing slices and still decode the rest of the frame.

Looking through AVCodecContext I see refernces to the following fields which need to be set by the decoder:

- draw_horiz_band()
- slice_count
- slice_offset

What do I have to do with these? Surely the decoder should be able to cope with a packetised MPEG4 stream without any special initialisation and any missing slices (packets) should be filled by copying blocks from the previous frame.