[FFmpeg-devel] How to watch HD under (linux) my OS ?

Gregoire Favre gregoire.favre
Wed Aug 6 11:45:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

I think multithreaded x264 is coming which should improve the decoding
(at least for multiple cores CPU).

I have an quiete old gfx card, and I would like to change it, mainly
because I would like at some point to have a 30" LCD.

Sofar I am aware of two helper :
http://www.reel-multimedia.com/de/extension_linux_lieferumfang.html

And the nvidia cuda :
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-August/034667.html
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-December/039640.html

BUT... the first one only can decode 720p/1080i and the second one isn't
near than precoded for linux but it's definitely something that could
really help as one can see for example at
http://www.elementaltechnologies.com/products.php?id=5 :
"RapiHD? Accelerator for Adobe Premiere? Pro

Elemental Technologies' RapiHD? Accelerator for Adobe Premiere? Pro sets
a new standard for high-performance non-linear editing. Render Blu-ray
quality AVC/H.264 files in real-time. Scrub multiple streams of AVCHD
and HDV video while freeing up your CPU to process other tasks.
Accelerate your workflow as high-quality scaling, cross-dissolves, and
transition effects no longer run slowly. Best of all, this paradigm
shift runs on hardware you already have: the NVIDIA Quadro graphics
processing unit (GPU) in your computer. Sound too good to be true? It's
not. Elemental Technologies? RapiHD? Accelerator for Adobe Premiere? Pro
will be available in the fall of 2008. To get status updates on the
Accelerator, please remember to sign up for the mailing list on our home
page."
And at http://www.elementaltechnologies.com/products.php?id=6 :
"Badaboom? Media Converter

There's a new beast in town: the Badaboom Media Converter. The painful
process of converting video between different formats is no longer
painful with this GPU-powered black bandit. Check out www.badaboomit.com
to learn more and keep up-to-date on all the latest details."

I know that cuda depends on binary driver which might not be that
good...

Are there any other way to decode HD without a really powerfull CPU ?

Thanks.
--
Gr?goire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org
               http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregoire.Favre