[FFmpeg-devel] Patch for "non monotone timestamp" error

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Aug 11 14:06:26 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:24:24AM +0200, Diep Ho wrote:
> [...]

I can also quote the asf spec about timestamps this doesnt make every codec
stored in it to allow them.

mpeg1 video and the reordering is described in the mpeg1 video spec.

i do not know for certain if the files are valid or not. But we will not
support this combination unless such files are found in the wild, i am
simply trying to avoid adding more messy special cases. A single user
who managed to create such files with ffmpeg is not a reason for us to
belive such files are valid and to support them.
I wont dispute that the spec does not clearly say if its valid or not.

Either way, if you want this supported you have to proof that such files
do exist in the wild except ones (in)directly created by you. AND you
have to provide a patch that is working, nothing you posted even got close
to working.
A simple test would be to take normal mpeg1 with and without B frames cut
them at random byte offsets and ensure that your patch does never change
any single generated timestamp from these files.
(patches failing this tests are not discussable)

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.