[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] License header consistency

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sun Aug 17 19:24:16 CEST 2008

2008/8/17 Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:16:01PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> On Sunday, 17 August 2008 at 19:08, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> >
>> > Simple question
>> > Do we require all developers to ensure that *GPL license headers are
>> > precissely copy & pastes of the one master copy diego picked?
>> >
>> > My vote is NO
>> >
>> > my argument is that this wastes developer time that can be spend doing
>> > something more usefull even if its just little time, but such little
>> > times add up, and its not only time to fix the headers but also to diff
>> > them against a reference before each check in.
>> > Besides its neither a issue of legal correctness if a LGPL variant is
>> > used that happens to have a space more or less somewhere, or uses
>> > "this library" instead of "ffmpeg" or was what diego prefered 4 years ago.
>>
>> Why not simply provide a template.h and template.c with the correct headers
>> already present. Or maybe template_gpl.* and template_lgpl.*.
>
> These files already exist, just pick a random .c or .h file in FFmpeg.

Are all license headers currently valid? I've been bitten for copying
code from other files before when the behaviour was deprecated and I
was unaware.

>> That way we could have both correct headers and less wasted developer time.
>
> No time is wasted if you are clever enough to paste from the correct
> place.

I'm sure Michael is clever enough. Please don't also start being
inflammatory. It is not clear from where the 'correct' license header
should be obtained.

Rob