[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] License header consistency

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Aug 17 19:27:49 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:22:50PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:16:01PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Sunday, 17 August 2008 at 19:08, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Simple question
> > > Do we require all developers to ensure that *GPL license headers are
> > > precissely copy & pastes of the one master copy diego picked?
> > >
> > > My vote is NO
> > >
> > > my argument is that this wastes developer time that can be spend doing
> > > something more usefull even if its just little time, but such little
> > > times add up, and its not only time to fix the headers but also to diff
> > > them against a reference before each check in.
> > > Besides its neither a issue of legal correctness if a LGPL variant is
> > > used that happens to have a space more or less somewhere, or uses
> > > "this library" instead of "ffmpeg" or was what diego prefered 4 years ago.
> >
> > Why not simply provide a template.h and template.c with the correct headers
> > already present. Or maybe template_gpl.* and template_lgpl.*.
>
> iam all for it if #include "template_lgpl.h" is ok
> otherwise no i am not because every random file from current ffmpeg could be
> used as well to copy and paste it. And practice tells us this doesnt work
> out, its very common that people end up commiting headers that are different
> In my case in pca.c it was ffmpegs header just a few years old.

Also if this vote ends up with a majority of "yes" then someone _please_
add a pre commit check, this would make manual checking of files before
svn ci unneeded.

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates