[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AAC Encoder

Gabriel Bouvigne bouvigne
Mon Aug 18 14:05:43 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>>            switch(last_window_sequence){
>>            case ONLY_LONG_SEQUENCE:
>>                win[ch] = switch_to_eight ? LONG_START_SEQUENCE : ONLY_LONG_SEQUENCE;
>>                grouping[ch] = 0;
>>                break;
>>            case LONG_START_SEQUENCE:
>>                win[ch] = EIGHT_SHORT_SEQUENCE;
>>                grouping[ch] = pch->next_grouping[ch];
>>                break;
>>            case LONG_STOP_SEQUENCE:
>>                win[ch] = ONLY_LONG_SEQUENCE;
>>                grouping[ch] = 0;
>>                break;
>>            case EIGHT_SHORT_SEQUENCE:
>>                win[ch] = switch_to_eight ? EIGHT_SHORT_SEQUENCE : LONG_STOP_SEQUENCE;
>>                grouping[ch] = switch_to_eight ? pch->next_grouping[ch] : 0;
>>                break;
>>            }
>>            pch->next_grouping[ch] = window_grouping[attack_n];
>

> this is limited to 9 of 256 possible groupings, not to mention that i have my
> doubts about the optimality of the highpass based selection.

For the only 9 possible grouping, I agree that it's not optimal (please
remember that the 3gp reference model is provided by Coding Technologies
which also need to be able to sell their own encoder).
Regarding the highpass method, if the highpass freq is properly choosen,
it's a method that demonstrated its usefullness. Its main drawback is
usually the computation time compared to spectrum-based methods which
can often be done using data that is already computed.

Regards,

--
Gabriel Bouvigne
www.mp3-tech.org