[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Export eval.h?

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Aug 20 18:49:01 CEST 2008

On date Wednesday 2008-08-20 03:05:24 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> On date Wednesday 2008-08-20 01:43:17 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:43:53PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> [...]
>
> Michael:
> > i wonder if it would make sense to just use the whole expression evaluator
> > instead of av_strtod().
>
> I think this could be a very good idea, anyway maybe is still a good
> idea to export av_strtod(), skip review of the following patch
> otherwise.
[...]

And finally I discovered that eval.h is not a public header, when we
can still use it in cmdutils.c with:
#include "libavcodec/eval.h"

I think ff* tools shouldn't use internal functions as they are the
implementation reference for libav*.

On the other hand I find eval features quite useful per-se, so I
think maybe it's arrived the time to export it, I volunteer to do all
the required work if Michael and other maintainers agree.

The plan could sound as follows:
1) move eval.[ch] to libavutil
2) s/ff_/av_/ in some function names
3) export eval.h interface and bump minor libavutil version

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Foolish and Faboulous Meaningless Powered Encoding/decoding Genius