[FFmpeg-devel] Realmedia patch

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Aug 22 13:59:24 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 09:27:56AM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
[...]
> > - AVStream.discard was the intended API for stream selection, so this
> > approach fits the intended lavf-API
>
> If there actually are N different streams, I agree with this.
> My impression was that there is a single stream with N different possible
> configurations.

What you seem to be ignoring is that lavfs API needs to work with all
files and streams ... (we do not need a API that is RTSP/RTP specific)
This is a little similar to programs in MPEG-TS where one could argue
the demuxer should return just one program. [such argument generally comes
from someone not caring about anything but watching a sigle stream with his
player]
If one wanted to transcode the mpeg-ts of course all programs must be returned
and its similar for rtsp, someone may for one or another reason want to store
all the different bitrate encodings. Maybe to mirror the thing, or whatever ...
Besides as soon as more than just the bitrate differes,
width/height, channels, codec, frame rate, sample rate ...
exporting all AVStreams becomes the cleanest way to make this information
available to the user.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle