[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] make distclean doesn't remove the libswscale pc files

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Aug 27 23:12:14 CEST 2008

On date Tuesday 2008-08-26 20:35:27 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> Hi all,
>
> as discussed in this thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/18003/
>
> make distclean doesn't remove the libswscale pc files.
>
> In order to fix the glitch I have three proposals, in order of
> complexity:
>
> 1) to force the Makefile to always remove those files, even when the
> libswscale Makefile isn't included
>
> 2) to remove from configure the part which generates unconditionally
> the libswscale pc files
>
> 3) to implement in the Makefile the creation of the pc files, in this
> way the Makefile would be aware of the created pc files and would
> delete it in the distclean rule. This has been suggested some time ago
> by M?ns.
>
> I prefer solutions 2 or 3 in that order, but I'm not sure about the
> correctness of 2, I indeed wonder about why is necessary to have those
> files if libswscale isn't neither installed neither compiled.
>
> If we agree on the preferred method I'll provide the corresponding
> implementation to fix the issue.

After more inspection I undestood the utility of the libswscale.pc
file being installed even if there isn't libswscale (resuming, suppose
that there is an application installed which uses the libswscale API
but without libswscale installed, the libswscale pc file in this case
requires the presence of libavcodec which provides a compatible API).

Since ffmpeg currently doesn't install the libswscale pc file if
libswscale isn't enabled, then this is a bug (which will broke
applications requiring libswscale functionality on systems without
libswscale).

Otherwise, if we don't care about that (afterall they can always
install libswscale if they want) we can drop libswscale pc generation
when libswscale isn't enabled and fix the issue of the subject.

Opinions?

Patch for the second option included, regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fast & Frenzy Merciful Problematic Efficient God