[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Applying trivial things vs. sending patches.

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Sun Aug 31 12:30:19 CEST 2008

In theory maintainership is used for 3 things:
1. prevent other developers from breaking existing code because
they don't know the inner workings.
2. reviewing new code in the same area so it won't break anything.
3. make the maintainer fix bugs in his area.

What does I try to say.
I would trust some people to commit code without asking me first, because
I know they "wrote their homework", they know what they do,
they know how the code works and I'm sure they have tested the result.

There are however people I wouldn't let a mile close to code I maintain,
because they've messed a number of trivial things in the past, don't grok C
and are known to test changes after committing them.

I do trust Michael.
His position as project leader alone is enough to override maintainership
status of any developer. The real deal is that he does know the whole project
inside out and he had reviewed most (all?) of the code that
maintainers maintain.

Still I would like to know if he is doing non-trivial stuff like the major
optimizations, in case I am working on the same code.

I do trust most of the experienced coders to fix trivial things I may
have overlooked.
I would still like to know about clean ups in advance.