[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]Nvidia VDPAU patches

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Dec 1 14:15:34 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:45:55PM +0100, Andreas Setterlind wrote:
> including automatic fallback to software
> decoding (which I understand is something that FFmpeg developers sees
> as a mandatory requirement before committing any patches?):

I can not speak for the others but IMO no. As I understood it, Michael
would reconsider allowing the different PIX_FMTs for different profiles
if they were necessary to do software fallback, but I disagree with
that. The only kind of software fallback I'd consider useful is decoding
in software when the VDPAU decoder reports an error (also useful for
error concealment, which to my knowledge is horrible in most hardware
decoders), but I think that will make a huge mess.
What in my opinion is not acceptable is mandatory reverting to software rendering
just because a few bits in the file say "oh we use ultra-special
features with 1 GBit/s bit rate" because in reality it's most likely
just the encoder being too stupid to set those bits right and the
hardware could play it just fine (not to mention all those files that
are just in the higher profile because of some setting that actually
makes no difference at all to the hardware decoder).

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger