[FFmpeg-devel] Files crashing FFmpeg

Maxim Poliakovski max_pole
Wed Dec 3 18:18:11 CET 2008

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>>> I finally downloaded and processed as many as I could. I was able to
>>> obtain about 4400 of the original 5100+ samples. Initial results
>>> indicate that more than half (2316) of the samples return 0 when fed
>>> into FFmpeg. I construe that to mean that those samples now work. I will
>>> have a more detailed breakdown of the problems in the next few days.
>>> I also learned that FFmpeg can bring Mac OS X to its knees.
>> Goodie. Here comes a list of the most uncommon files (video codecs)
>> found by Picsearch.
>> http://tranquillity.ath.cx/uncommon_video_codecs_final.txt
>> http://tranquillity.ath.cx/codecs.txt
> Wow! Processing that list of crashers was like having to eat my
> vegetables. This list is more like dessert!

The lot of them are in the Intel I.263 format ("h263i"). At this time
FFmpeg supports this codec partially (no PB-Frames and so on). I can
imagine that someone can experience problems playing these videos back.
I just tried to play them back using my own decoder plug-in for
QuickTime and it works without problems. I didn't try it with FFmpeg
The plug-in mentioned above is based on the source code I've posted long
ago here: http://multimedia.cx/I263Src.zip

Unfortunately I don't have time to port it to FFmpeg, so if anyone feels
themself like this, please do it! I'll help you as much as I can...

Maxim Poliakovski