[FFmpeg-devel] How to pass ref_frame_count to vo_vdpau during config()

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Dec 5 08:47:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 02:35:50PM -0800, Stephen Warren wrote:
> I suppose alternatives could be:
>
> 1) Allocate surfaces dynamically in vo_vdpau's get_image() function. This would adjust to exact actual usage, but would defer out-of-memory errors until some potentially random point during stream playback.

Personally, for a "first" implementation at least I would consider this
the best solution. A truly reliable autodetection if acceleration works
does not seem feasible to me, also generally the policy of FFmpeg and
MPlayer is: if the user requests it, do it and let them sort out the
consequences themselves.
Of course it would be good if vo_vdpau could fail gracefully, e.g. just
drawing the frames with some error (and printing a warning) when it does
not have all reference frames. Playing some file with a few visual
errors may be far preferable to not being able to play it at all.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger