[FFmpeg-devel] Parallelizing MPEG encoding with MPI

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Dec 7 04:10:26 CET 2008

Andreas Simbuerger <simi at osaft.eu> writes:

> Greetings everybody!
>
> I'm currently working on a programming exercise for my diploma at the
> University of Passau. We try to enhance MPEG encoding by introducing
> parallelism on GOP encoding with the MPI libraries.

Interesting.  I did some experiments along those lines a few years
ago.  If you search the archives from 2004 or 2005 you might find some
source code.  It's probably quite rotten by now...

> I was looking for the implementation of
> -----
> int avcodec_encode_video(AVCodecContext *avctx, uint8_t *buf,
>                             int buf_size, const AVFrame *pict);
> -----
> which is declared in avcodec.h
>
> This is kinda embarassing to me, because even with using a text search
> over all source files i could not find the implementation of this
> header. Nevertheless it is used within the encoding loop in ffmpeg.c.
>
> So my question is... where can i find the implementation of this
> function?

Search again.  I can assure you it's there.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com