[FFmpeg-devel] Parallelizing MPEG encoding with MPI

Alexander Strange astrange
Sun Dec 7 05:30:55 CET 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Andreas Simbuerger <simi at osaft.eu>
> wrote:
>> Greetings everybody!
>>
>> I'm currently working on a programming exercise for my diploma at the
>> University of Passau. We try to enhance MPEG encoding by introducing
>> parallelism on GOP encoding with the MPI libraries.
>
> Isn't MPI rather unnecessary for video encoding parallelism?  It is
> rather easy to develop a model (see
> http://akuvian.org/src/x264/sliceless_threads.txt) which does not
> require communication between threads except to signal the maximum
> motion vector search range, which can be done using an atomic write to
> a struct variable.
>
> Dark Shikari

GOP multithreading for encoding is much easier to add in, though.
It's bad for ratecontrol efficiency, but a lot less work than adapting
ratecontrol to handle frame-threading.

But we're talking about MPEG-2 here, so slice threading should already
work fine.