[FFmpeg-devel] Parallelizing MPEG encoding with MPI

Andreas Simbuerger simi
Sun Dec 7 21:07:00 CET 2008

Hi!

Thanks a lot! I will look into that code.
In my first approach i thought it would be necessary to add my MPI
statements only to the
MPV_encode_picture function, like:

 - if mpi_root && frame_type == FF_I_TYPE {
	send frame to next free node
   	bypass encoding.
	free the buffers.
   } else if (!mpi_root && !mpi_out_node) {
   	wait for frame data (Could be I,P or B-Frame)
	encode the data.
	if (picture_in_gop < gop_size) {
	 send data not needed for next frame to output node.
	 send necessary data + next frame to a free node.
	} else {
	 send data to output node.
	}
   } else {
   	receive an encoded frame an put it at the right stream position.
   }

Couppled with a good scheduling this should lead to a good performance
gain too.